It was early afternoon and
the weather was perfect. The sky was clear save some white fluffy
clouds that slowly drifted across the deep blue celestial dome. The
intense sunlight caused all the colours of the city to brightly shine
in their most vibrant tones, making it seem almost surreal, as if an
ever-present veil of shadow and grayness had finally been lifted from
the world.
The wind sweeping through
the streets provided cooling for the few people who were actually in
the open, as opposed to the many who took shelter from the heat in
air-conditioned buildings.
The smell of ozone and hot
asphalt hung in the air, and as repulsive it might have been for
someone from the countryside, this was the typical smell of
summertime in the city that most townsfolk had learned to appreciate.
It was a beautiful day and
Hobbies Kraft hardly saw anything of it. The bright light blinded him
through the small slots. He was sweating heavily and could barely
breathe.
“Now you're just being
ridiculous!” Maria proclaimed upon taking a second look at the
darkly clothed person she now positively identified as Hobbies. “I'm
aware that you like being dramatic and all – you know, I saw that
thing in the news about the guy you held hostage, heard what he
talked about in the interview... – but seriously, there got to be
better methods for hiding your identity than this stupid mask!”
The bright light blinded
him as he took the covering from his face, but the fresh air that a
cool breeze carried towards him made up for that.
“You're probably right,”
he admitted after wiping the sweat from his forehead. “The mask
wasn't such a great idea, especially on a day like this – Although
I don't wear it to conceal my identity...”
“So you wear it just for
the sake of looking ridiculous?” Maria cheekily remarked.
“No, well... you know,
it's just – It's hard to grow facial hair when you're such a public
person like I'm now, and so I thought I'd hide my face until I had a
nice mustache going on, you know?”
Maria
chuckled. “A mustache … Seriously?”
“Well”, Hobbies
replied, “It does have a certain appeal that fits in with the style
I'm going for – But I should probably have thought of that before
going public, so forget it, no mustache for me.” He put the mask
into his travelling bag that rested next to his feet. “Anyway -”
He took a look around the street, his gaze scanning the parked
vehicles. “I'm here where and when you specified – What now? “
“I've got a plan, don't
worry. But first things first, are you really ready to just leave
everything behind like that? What about your bar?”
“Don't worry, my life is
completely shaken up already. I've nothing that holds me here now,
and it might be good to get away for some time. Oh, and the bar –
it got blown up today, didn't you hear it in the news?” Hobbies
didn't really seem to be concerned by this, the way he casually
talked about it.
Maria, on the other hand,
was rather shocked. “Oh god, what? I'm sorry... Damn, I loved that
bar...”
“Well, it was only a
question of time. You'll find some other place to get drunk”, he
replied with a grin. “But now, about the journey – What's your
plan, where's your car?”
Now it was Maria's face
which lit up with a big smirk. “Actually, I thought I could dig up
something special for the occasion...” Her eyes wandered to the
vehicle in which shadow they had stood the whole time.
Hobbies followed her gaze,
then looked back at her in disbelief, looked back at the car and back
at her again. “This? Seriously?”
Next to them parked an old
VW bus. It was mostly white, but some spots indicated that it might
have been blue once. Near the wheels its colour turned brownish from
all the rust stains. Overall it looked like it might have been owned
by hippies some time ago. And there was a wooden canoe strapped on
top of it.
“Is... is that a boat on
top? ...And – where did you even get a bus like that?”
Maria savored Hobbies'
look of utter confusion and surprise before she answered. “I
borrowed it from my mother, actually. She doesn't drive it anymore
but still keeps it, so I thought: hey, this is perfect! And you know
what? It is!”
Suddenly Hobbies let out a
wholehearted laugh. Amused he said, still chuckling, “A nun who
likes to get drunk and owns a hippie bus is taking a villain on a
trip – Oh, this is gonna be fantastic...” He laughed once more.
Maria smiled at him.
“Alright then, let's hit the road, shall we?”
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen